Friday, October 26, 2012

No More Mint Brussels :( But WAIT!

So this isn't exactly recent news, but Pepperidge Farm, I have a bone to pick with you. You discontinued my favorite cookie of all time! The classic MINT Brussel! They've been gone for a couple of years now, but I'm still upset about it. The crunchy, crispy, minty, chocolaty goodness will never make my mouth happy again. Or will it??




I've been selling my Butterscotch Oatmeal Crisps on Etsy for a while now, they are crispy and light and awesome. BUT the other day, as I was severely missing Mint Brussels, I thought I just might be able to come close to them using a modified version of my Oatmeal Crisps. I fiddled around in the kitchen for a bit, and came up with this...

The mixture when it's all combined before baking

I used a teaspoon to drop small amounts onto parchment paper

After baking for about 7 minutes



Tartlet Mint Brussels

Cookie:
1/2 cup browned salted butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2/3 cup muscovado or dark brown sugar
1 cup old-fashioned oats 
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 Madagascar vanilla bean or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
1 tsp baking powder

Chocolate filling:
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
mint extract to taste

Cookie Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Brown the butter. Because everything is better when the butter is browned. Real talk.
3. Add in honey and sugar and get it all melty-like. You want the sugar to be dissolved.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove from heat.
5. Mix in oats, flour, baking powder, and vanilla
6. Drop small balls of the mixture onto a cookie sheet, about a teaspoon worth. They will spread so don't put them too close together.
7. Bake for about 6 - 8 minutes or until cookies begin to brown
8. Let cookies cool completely before you add the filling and sandwich them.

Filling Directions:
Heat cream until simmering, then pour over chocolate chips and stir until it all melts together. Add in drops of the extract until it's as minty as you want it to be. It doesn't take much, so be careful! Then put some in the middle of two cookies and you're done! TASTY!

They aren't exactly the same, but they are close enough to make me extremely happy. And I'll probably continue to tinker with the recipe, but I'm on the track. I love you Mint Brussels, welcome back to my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment