Monday, October 1, 2012

Bacon Shortbread!

As you may have seen, I've had Whole Wheat Shortbread up in my Etsy shop for a bit now. It's really good, but I've been trying to think of what I can do to spice it up a little. Give it a little twist. Since everyone is nuts about bacon (including me), I thought I might try adding it to my shortbread! I've always wanted to try incorporating bacon into a baked good. Who doesn't love that salty/sweet combo? I'm a huge sucker for it.



I used my regular recipe for the Whole Wheat Shortbread (using King Arthur White Whole Wheat, it's truly awesome). I then made a good amount of bacon in the oven, to get it nice and crispy. Crumbling bacon is a seriously difficult task. Not because it doesn't crumble easily, but because you want to eat all of the bacon! My kitchen was so full of bacon smell, it took the will power of a thousand will powers, not to gobble it all up (I may have set aside a couple of pieces for eating, shhh...). So after I crumbled it all up, I tossed it with a bit of brown sugar, then sprinkled the mixture over the pan of uncooked shortbread, and baked it like normal.



My house smelled sooooo good! Bacon smell? Plus. Baking shortbread smell? Double plus. Of course shortbread takes forever to bake AND then I had to wait for it to cool before I could try it. But it was worth the wait! Super delicious! Sweet and salty and cookie-ey and bacon-ey! Why did I wait so long to try bakin with bacon?!


Want to try some? Bacon Shortbread is now up for sale on my Etsy Page!

Happy Monday everyone!

1 comment: