Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Galette Success!

As mentioned in my last blog, I wanted try making some little blueberry free-form pastries called "galettes". I finally made some and they turned out great! I have a feeling that I'm going to be making these a lot before the blueberry season is over... but you know what's right around the corner in my parts? Blackberry season! Blackberry galettes sound like a fine idea as well, don't they?

I ended up using the crust recipe from Spoon Fork Bacon and it was awesome!

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
4 ounces cold cream cheese, cut into small cubes
1 tablespoon cold water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

Directions:
1. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Place butter and cream cheese into the bowl with the flour mixture and cut together until fully incorporated. The mixture should be evenly grainy.
3. Add water and vinegar and knead together until the mixture comes together and a smooth dough forms, about 2 minutes.
4. Pat the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

For the filling, I stayed really simple because I just wanted the natural flavor of the fresh blueberries to shine.

Ingredients:
8 oz fresh organic blueberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp organic cane sugar
2 tbsp raw honey
2 tsp corn starch




I rolled out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick and cut out circles with a cup. The diameter of the circles was probably about 3 inches. I put as much filling as made sense for the dough. I'm not exactly sure how much it was. A couple of spoonfuls maybe.


Then baked at 400 for about 10 minutes! YUM!  They turned out super delicious! I brought a few to work for people to try and the feedback was all very positive. 

These mini galettes are now available to order in my Etsy Shop. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment