Monday, March 12, 2012

Roasted Banana Ice Cream

Holy crap. I'm in love with the flavor of this ice cream. I'm going to marry it. A spring wedding with a topping buffet at the reception.

ROASTED BANANA ICE CREAM!!

Banana has always been my favorite flavor of ice cream. So of course I decided to make my first ice cream attempt banana flavored. Since I've never made ice cream before, I looked at some other recipes, then kind of did my own thing with a few aspects, and wasn't sure how it would turn out. There are some things I will do differently next time, but I'll get into that later. Here is the recipe that I used:


3 ripe to overripe bananas
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons muscovado, thrown in the food processor to make it a bit more fine
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon madagascar vanilla paste

Chop up the bananas and toss them in the brown sugar. Roast at 350F for about 15 minutes, flip slices, roast for 15 more minutes. They should be soft and kind of gooey. 

Toss everything in a food processor and whip it, whip it good! I might have whipped it a little too much because it got more airy than it probably should have. 

Then I scooped it into the chilled ice cream bucket thingy and got it into the ice cream maker. 

30 minutes later I had roasted banana ice cream! This picture is after I already scooped some out to eat :P


My bowl full of nommy ice cream


Then, since I need/love/live for toppings, I toasted some almond slices in butter, and threw them over the ice cream, along with some chocolate chips. 

The flavor was soooooo good, but it wasn't quite as creamy as I had imagined. And as it melted, it got almost a little grainy... odd. 

NEXT TIME!
I think I will try making it with a custard base. That usually makes ice cream super creamy, right? I think so.. I will also use less heavy cream, and more whole milk. I think the whipping wasn't as good for making it creamy as I thought. 

Overall, I think it was a pretty good first try. And it definitely won't go to waste :P

No comments:

Post a Comment