Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Bake Sale - Semi Success...

Well... the Easter bake sale was not quite as successful as the Valentine's Day bake sale. I made three things, Strawberry Pie Pops, Butterscotch Oatmeal Crisps, and Lemon Vanilla Mascarpone Macarons.

The pie pops were super good. I made a very basic, old school pie filling with just fresh sliced strawberries, brown sugar, cinnamon, and corn starch. Mighty tasty.


And since I was extremely short on time, I just bought ready made pie crusts. I lost my cookie cutters when I moved, so I just used a plastic cup to cut out the circles, and it turned out to be the perfect size!

It took a little bit to figure out a good amount of filling; some of my pies got pretty leaky and some had way too much crust to filling ratio. I ended up getting it down after a bit though. Here's my first batch being put together.

And one completed pop :D

Adorable!!

The macarons I made TASTED delicious, and the filling was bellissimo, but I messed up on the cookie recipe so they were extremely delicate and didn't look exactly right. I accidentally doubled everything in the recipe except the almond flour. WHOOPS! No wonder.

For the filling I used the following ingredients:

- Mascarpone cheese
- Super fine sugar
- Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Lemon zest
- Vanilla paste

I just mixed in the sugar, lemon, and vanilla until it tasted how I wanted it. It was really really good. I kind of want some right now actually.

Here is the finished product, in the packaging.

The last thing I made, and these were my favorite, were the butterscotch oatmeal crisps, dipped in chocolate. SO EFFING GOOD! I could eat a bajillion of these probably. Although making them is a pain in the patoot. The "dough" isn't difficult, but rolling them into little tubes is semi impossible. You have about a three second window to wrap the spread out dough stuff around a wooden spoon handle. Too soon and you burn your fingers on dough lava, too late and it's brittle as heck. In fact, I don't even think they need to be necessarily rolled at all. Just the flat discs of crisps is still cool, and when dipped in chocolate they look quite nice!


I had a lovely little display at the bake sale, and even printed out a nice pricing sign with my website on it. But, alas, apparently half the company took that day off of work. I didn't factor in people taking Good Friday off, since we don't get it as a company holiday. What a bummer! I had so many pie pops left over :(

It was still fun, though. And great that I got to try some new recipes! Huzzah!

1 comment: